Church of the Most Holy RedeemerAn offering to God for redemption
The Chiesa del Santissimo Redentore, on the island of Giudecca, is a white marble temple built by Andrea Palladio in gratitude to God after delivering the city from an outbreak of the plague in 1576. Since its construction, the Festival of the Redeemer is held every year on the third Sunday in July. The city is decorated and a bridge is made of barges to connect Giudecca to the rest of Venice. The festivities include regattas and firework displays.