Capitoline MuseumsThe cultural history of Rome in one museum
The Capitoline Museums are located in two buildings based on an urban design by Michelangelo: the Palazzo dei Conservadori and Palazzo Nuovo. They were founded in 1471 when Pope Sixtus IV donated some bronze works to the people of Rome. Throughout the centuries the collection increased as a result of donations, acquisitions and discoveries in the Roman territory. Now it has grown into a large collection of Roman sculpture and canvases by Titian, Tintoretto and Rubens.